This Tuesday’s contribution to the world of gastronomy: Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos! While they might sound a little frightening on first hearing about them, these puppies are DELISH!
Yesterday, I hosted my friend Mike for dinner. Mike is a vegetarian and this required me to flex my culinary skills a little as I am a proud Albertan and require meat in pretty much anything I consume. Bacon ice cream anyone? (JUST JOKES)
Some of you astute readers might remember my first recipe up here on the blog which was also vegetarian but I decided I wanted something more substantial for this dinner.
While surfing the web I came across a recipe similar to the one that I finally drafted on my favourite recipe website Allrecipes. After reading some of the comments at the bottom of the original recipe I made some delicious yet essential alterations.
One of the weirdest ingredients in this recipe is the soy sauce. While it seems completely out of place in a “Mexican” themed recipe. It definitely adds something to the black bean mixture. Try it out before you add the soy sauce and you will see what I mean.
Sorry there aren’t any picture to share with this one. I haven’t quite told everyone that I am partaking on a blogging experience and didn’t feel like whipping out my Canon XS in front of Mike. I hope you enjoy the recipe and let me know how it works for all of you!
PS! For you Celiacs out there just substitute the flour tortilla’s with corn ones and you are good to go. Because you bake the tortilla’s you won’t notice much of a difference!
Tasty Black Bean and Sweet Potato Burritos
- 1 T vegetable oil
- 1/2 Onion, chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cans of black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 2 cups sweet potato, cooked and mashed
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 1/2 T chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 t dried mustard
- 1/2 t cayenne pepper
- 1 1/2 T soy sauce
- 6 Wheat tortillas
- 1 diced tomato
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Sour Cream, Salsa, chopped green onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350
- Saute garlic and onions in oil until soft
- Add black beans and crush with potato masher
- Add corn and heat through
- Add water and heat through
- Stir in spices and soy sauce and remove from heat
- Fill tortilla with black bean mixture and mashed sweet potatoes
- Top with cheese and diced tomato
- Fold in the burrito style and bake for 12 minutes
- Top with sour cream/salsa/green onion and enjoy!