As promised I am offering the blog-o-sphere another delicious and simple Zucchini recipe. After the haul from last week’s market resulted in me having more squash than I knew what to do with, I started trawling the internet for another zucchini-based recipe I could try out. The recipe that I eventually based mine off of came from one of my favourite recipe websites, Allrecipes.com.
Allrecipes offers thousands of recipes and countless comments and suggestions from aspiring foodies from around the world. The great thing about this website is if a recipe has been rated more than 100 times and still has 4-5 stars you know its going to be a crowd pleaser. The original recipe from Allrecipes that I based mine off of had more than 600 reviews so I knew that it was a good foundation to start with.
After consulting some of the suggestions, I drafted a new recipe that I can confidentially call my own.
Tips with this recipe include: letting the patties sit and cook. While it might be tempting to poke and prod the patties while they are cooking away, they will be crispier and tastier if you just leave them alone. Secondly, make sure you use a non-stick skillet. I can only image that these patties would be a dishwasher’s nightmare if you don’t have a non-stick skillet. Also they would be nearly impossible to flip if these bad boys are stuck to your frying pan.
For all you celiacs out there, to make this gluten-free, just use your favourite gluten-free bread to make bread crumbs. Just through a toasted slice of your bread in a blender or food processor for a few seconds and you can easily make your own bread crumbs.
Recipe BelowCheddar Zucchini Patties
- 1 cup Zucchini, grated
- 1 egg
- 1 small red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup bread crumbs
- 3 cloves garlic
- 3/4 cup cheddar cheese, grated
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 T vegetable oil
- Combine all the ingredients besides the oil together in a bowl and mix until all the ingredients are distributed evenly
- Preheat a non-stick frying pan over medium heat and all the vegetable oil
- Place a heaping tablespoons of the zucchini batter in the frying pan to form the patties
- Allow patty to cook for 5 minutes on each side or until the patty is cooked and is dark brown
- Place on a paper towel to soak up any additional oil and enjoy.