Question: melted cheese, Is there anything better?
The other night I was struggling to find a new recipe that really intrigued me, but after some casual surfing on Allrecipies, I came across one that did it for me. For one thing, it combines zucchini, fresh basil and melted cheese into one awesome meal. For another, it requires practically no effort, which is essential these days because I am struggling to find time to balance school, a social life and time to eat/blog.
There aren’t too many tricks with this recipe. I don’t know how essential it was to pan seer the zucchini before throwing it in the oven but I did it anyway. Something I think I might try next time is to slice the zucchini lengthwise as opposed to making tiny medallions. I this would make the layering process a little easier once you get ready to bake the dish. Finally, the recipe called to skin the tomatoes, I just ignored those instructions and sliced them up skins and all. One other word of caution, is I found that this recipe didn’t keep all that well. It was delicious day one, but day two it was a little soupy, you are best just to invite a friend over and eat it all in one sitting.
- 3 Zucchini, sliced lengthwise
- 2 T Olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4 ounces Mozzarella, sliced thinly
- 2 Large tomatoes, sliced thinly
- 1/4 cup fresh basil, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup fresh Parmesan, grated finely
- Preheat oven to 375
- In a large frying pan, heat oil over medium heat
- Fry zucchini and garlic pieces until golden on either side
- In a large glass baking dish, alternate layers of zucchini, tomatoes and mozzarella
- Sprinkle Parmesan and basil over the top and season with salt and pepper
- Bake for 30 minutes until cheese is bubbling and golden
- Serve and enjoy!
Recipe adapted from Allrecipes.com