One of the biggest problems I have with risotto though is I never have enough for leftovers. One of my worst habits is I pick at it throughout the day resulting in a less than satisfying meal when dinner finally comes around. When I came across the recipe for risotto cakes, I had to intentionally make a copious amount of risotto so I could both snack AND make this recipe.
While any risotto recipe will work, I used my favourite sausage and tomato recipe that has been featured on the blog before. One of my favourite things about this recipe is how quickly it came together. I often struggle with finding recipes that take less than 30 minutes to make. I have a tendency to get caught up in extravagant recipes that take 2+ hours to make. It’s nice to add something to the repitoire that still results in something delicious but doesn’t take all day to make.
- Leftover risotto
- Bread crumbs
- 1/4 oil
- 1 egg, scrambled
- Over medium heat, add oil to a frying pan and heat until the oil shimmers
- In a shallow dish, add scramble egg
- In another shallow dish, add breadcrumbs
- Form palm sized patties with the risotto about 3 centimetres thick
- Toss the patties in the egg first and then the breadcrumbs
- Fry breaded patties in oil until crispy and and heated all the way through
- Eat and enjoy
Adapted from Stephanie Cooks